Asbestos removal is an important job that is highly dangerous if not done with the appropriate level of caution. Just having asbestos in your home is not dangerous, but it is a substance that can become hazardous if damaged. Because of these risks, if you suspect there is asbestos in your home, it’s best to have it professionally removed to reduce unexpected risks. Luckily SMART Environmental Services in Kansas City has the experience to deal with asbestos removal in your home or business.
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that can only be positively identified with a special type of microscope. Due to its effectiveness as a fire resistant insulation material, it was commonly used in many products before its health risks from improper asbestos removal became apparent. Products made today that include asbestos must be clearly labeled. However, due to the prevalent use of asbestos in insulation, and the health risks associated with the material not being known before the 1970s, the following products might contain asbestos if manufactured before then:
- Paper tape insulation on steam pipes, boilers, and furnace ducts
- Resilient floor tiles, the backing on vinyl sheet flooring, and adhesives used for installing floor tile
- Cement sheet, millboard, and paper insulation used around furnaces and woodburning stoves
- Door gaskets in furnaces and wood and coal stoves
- Soundproofing or decorative material sprayed on walls and ceilings
- Patching and joint compounds for walls and ceilings
- Asbestos cement roofing, shingles and siding
- Artificial ashes and embers sold for use in gas-fired fireplaces
- Automobile brake pads and linings, clutch facings, and gaskets
As stated earlier, unless damaged there is no immediate health risk from these products being present in your home. However, having these products dealt with through professional asbestos removal is the best way to avoid potential health risks from keeping them in the home. Since asbestos fibers can be released into the air when the material is damaged, you do not want to risk trying to dispose of these products by yourself.
SMART Environmental Services has the experience to handle asbestos removal in your home or business. If you think you have asbestos in your building, contact us today to remove it and dispose of it safely. Call us at (913) 355-5303 or contact us online to schedule consultation.