What’s the risk?
The health risks associated with asbestos exposure from inhaling fibers can cause severe damage to your lungs. This exposure may take many years to develop. If you suspect that you have asbestos in your home, professional asbestos abatement is the best course of action.
The EPA the following lung conditions with asbestos exposure:
* Lung cancer
* Mesothelioma – a rare form of cancer that is found in the thin lining of the lung, chest and the abdomen and heart
* Asbestosis – a serious progressive, long-term, non-cancer disease of the lungs
Where’s the risk?
The main risk of exposure to asbestos in everyday life is in insulation or popcorn textured ceilings used in houses before the 1970s when its use was discontinued due to its health risks. The harmful asbestos fibers are only released into the air if the material is damaged or otherwise handled incorrectly. Therefore, in most cases you are not in immediate risk to the asbestos containing materials unless it was disturbed. The fact that the dangers primarily stem from the material being incorrectly handled is exactly the reason that you should hire SMART Environmental if you need asbestos abatement in the Kansas City area.
The most common products that used asbestos are:
* Resilient floor tiles, the backing on vinyl sheet flooring, and adhesives used for installing floor tile
* Patching and joint compounds for walls and ceilings
* Asbestos cement roofing, shingles and siding
* Door gaskets in furnaces and wood and coal stoves
* Paper tape insulation on steam pipes, boilers, and furnace ducts
If you believe you have asbestos in your home and need it handled professionally, trust SMART Environmental Services. Call us at (913) 355-5303 or click here to contact us online. Don’t wait until you’re at risk, hire us for professional asbestos abatement today!